.

Home at 4 Freedom Drive in Canton Destroyed by Fire Wednesday Evening

Couple at home got out safely.

A single-family ranch at 4 Freedom Drive was destroyed by fire Wednesday night but a couple at the home was able to get out safely, fire officials said. 

Firefighters responded to the home at 5:09 p.m. Wednesday and arrived to an active fire. 

"The fire was well involved on arrival," said Richard Hutchings, chief of the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department.  

Members of the Canton department and other area departments responded.

Hutchings said the Farmington Valley Tanker Task Force was activated to provide a second source of water. Canton firefighters set up a portable pond from which to draw water but in the end an area hydrant provided enough to fight the fire, Hutchings said. 

The fire was deemed "under control" at 5:58 p.m. 

The weather provided some challenges. Runoff water created some very slippery conditions in the area as it froze on the roadway. 

Initial emergency radio reports indicated propane tanks and possibly a vehicle were involved. Hutchings confirmed that there were two grill-sized propane tanks on the back porch and a van in the driveway was likely "secondarily" involved. 

He did not have a cause for the fire but late Wednesday evening said Canton Fire Marshal Adam Libros was on scene. 

"We're looking at everything," he said. 

A couple at the home was able to get out safely, Hutchings said. Senior and Social Services Director Claire Cote responded to the scene and helped coordinate arrangements with the American Red Cross. In a statement sent to the media, the Red Cross said it was helping "with emergency housing, food and clothing needs" as well as other items. The assistance is free of charge.

Connecticut Light and Power was also called to the scene. During the fire, some sparks were seen due to live wires to the house but Hutchings said other area homes did not lose power.

The home was built in 1956, according to the Canton assessor's office.

Jason January 03, 2013 at 01:44 AM
The Canton Fire Dept. couldn't put out a camp fire....sorry for your loss!!!!!
Theresa January 03, 2013 at 03:06 AM
That's pretty harsh, Jason.
ANONYMOUS January 03, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Jason the house was fully involved I don't think there was any stoping it and we don't see you up there busting your balls trying to put this fire out
Ryan January 03, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Jason, feel free to come put in an aplication. We are always looking for help. Maybe you could get some insight on how things work when a house catches fire...
wendy January 03, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Clearly, Jason, you are an expert. Maybe you should join the volunteer fire department and share all your knowledge about firefighting.
Linda Mahoney January 03, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Canton has a great fire dept and EMS service! Your comment Jason was uncalled for!
Cynthia Kiesewetter January 03, 2013 at 01:14 PM
More importantly, are there any funds being set up to help this couple? Where are they being housed, fed, etc. during this time? My church would love to help out.
Linda Betances January 03, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Claire if there is anything I can do to help them, will you please post it here for people to see and or drop off items? I don't have much much but, I would like to help them. Losing everything is so devastating and whatever small gesture I can do to help I would like too, So glad they are OK . Linda B.
John Fitts (Editor) January 03, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Hi Cynthia and Linda. The Red Cross is providing a place from them to stay and our Senior and Social Services Director helped coordinate that last night. I am sure Director Claire Cote will let us know what people can do to help. I’ll try and check in with her today. Thank you.
Linda Mahoney January 03, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Keep us posted ! I have things that I can help them out with!
Eva O'Brien January 03, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Jason, you are no match for the heroes of the Canton and Collinsville Fire Department, you probably couldn't even put out a match.
Linda Betances January 03, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Hey John Thank you!! You and the family are most welcome. These are such hard times for all of us, and if we as a "Family Community" can help let us know. Sending my best and blessings... Props to the Red Cross!!!!!!!!!
Chris Carroll January 03, 2013 at 08:28 PM
Jason, maybe you should go see what the fire department is all about. These are your neighbors who give up time with their families for all the training they have to undergo for a volunteer job they don't get paid to do and they have to undergo just as much training as the paid guys. By the way you are also dissing the other departments that came for mutual aid. I'm proud to say I was once a member of the fire department. So you shouldn't cast aspersions on a fine bunch of guys!
Linda Betances January 03, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Chris, You hit the nail right on the head!! My father was once a Canton Volunteer Fire Fighter, as well as many others that lived and still live here in Canton. Prayers to all of them and all the rest of the brave people that take pride in our towns and give their support and time to help those in need, hopefully you Jason, will never be in a position to need their help!
Linda Mahoney January 03, 2013 at 09:27 PM
I also was a member of the Collinsville fire dept. EMS, the training is unbelivable. Fires are horrible for everyone!
Lowell Humphrey January 04, 2013 at 12:20 AM
While "Jason" is free to post his comments I wish he would put himself in the place of those volunteers who spent hours fighting flames, freezing temperatures, and icy conditions and then come home to read his remarks. Fortunately I am confident that not one of them will be dissuaded by such snarky commentary.
Shelby York January 04, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I want to thank everyone on the canton fire and ems for being an amazing group of volunteers! I would love to see "Jason" try to be in any of your shoes during a response to a fire or medical emergency.
heather fin January 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Im glad to seethe the red cross is helping this couple. We got no assistance from anyone when our house burned down last march. 5 people and 3you dogs standing in the snow with no shoes and no where to go. Thank god neighbors grabbed us clothes and sluppers and set up a hotel for us. My heart goes out to this family. Its a long hard road after a fire.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »