Members of the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department spent approximately an hour at the scene of a chimney fire on West Simsbury Road Friday evening.
At 4:28, firefighters responded to 88 West Simsbury Road (Route 309) after Connecticut Light and Power Linesmen reported a fire in the chimney, fire officials said.
Due to the lack of hydrants in the area, the department utilized its Engine 3 and Tanker 7 to establish a water supply while crews from Engine 4 and Ladder 2 performed other duties, Fire Capt. Steve LaPointe said.
The fire was contained to the chimney and resulted from lack of cleaning and a poorly installed stove insert, officials said.
Firefighters removed the wood stove at the home and cleared chimney debris though the use of a special chain from the roof and a dry chemical extinguisher inside, fire officials said.
Firefighters also advised the homeowner to get the chimney professionally cleaned, according to emergency radio reports.
During the incident, Canton Police officers and fire police closed Route 309 between Route 179 and Andrew Drive.
The fire was deemed "under control at 5:35 p.m., police said.