A small porch fire at a Maple Avenue apartment over the weekend was likely caused by an improperly disposed cigarette, fire marshal Adam Libros said Monday.
The fire, reported at approximately 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 22, damage the patio furniture, some siding and a window at the upper level apartment at 32 Maple Ave., Libros said.
The fire was extinguished by the tenant before firefighters arrived although the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department responded and made sure it was truly out, officials said. Libros was then called to the scene.
It did not extend into the home and no injuries were reported, Libros said.
Libros said the fire was accidental and believed to have resulted from a cigarette. He said it's a good reminder for people to put them into a non-combustible container.