Firefighters and other emergency personnel responded to a chimney fire at 183 Bahre Corner Road at approximately 1:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon.
Police were called to the scene and quickly summoned the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department, according to radio reports.
Firefighters, fire police and ambulance personnel responded. Avon firefighters also provided backup.
The fire was contained to the chimney, deputy fire marshal Scott Goeben said. He said the department used many old-age techniques for chimney fires. Each station has a chimney kit. Some items such as heavy duty gloves, a car review mirror, extinguisher powder and chains to knock the creosote build up off the sides of a chimney come in a metal bucket, the top of which can also be used to help smother the fire.
A heavy duty, brightly colored runner is also laid down as firefighters enter the home, both to protect carpets and to provide a highly visible aid should smoke get heavy.
Firefighters also cover other items in the house to help reduce any smoke damage.
"Crews worked diligently to prevent smoke damage," Goeben said.
At one point Thursday, flames were coming out of the home's chimney but the fire did not cause any structural damage, officials said.
Crews were on scene for about an hour and the homeowner was advised to hire a chimney expert before building any more fires, officials said.
No injuries were reported.