.

Chickens Perish In Coop Fire

Blaze extinguished by landscaper; knocked-over heat lamp believed to be cause.

Four chickens perished in a coop fire at a Westview Drive home Thursday morning, according to a relative of the homeowner.

There were four chickens in the coop and the fire likely started from a knocked-over heat lamp, said Tom Huff, brother of homeowner Rob Huff. Unfortunately the chickens died, he said.

The good news is the fire was discovered by employees.

Emergency officials were notified and police, the town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department and the town's fire marshal Adam Libros responded to the home after the call came in at approximately 11 a.m.

However, Twin employee James Doyle, a junior firefighter for the Colebrook Volunteer Fire Department, had essentially extinguished it with a garden hose.

Fire Chief Richard Hutchings confirmed that the incident did not require much further action from the department.

"It was pretty much under control when we got here," he said.

It was also good that it was quickly extinguished due to the coop's proximity to the garage at the home.

"You never know," Doyle said.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something