I am writing to urge the citizens of Canton to vote YES on the Track and Field question next Tuesday, Nov. 6. The proposed Track and Field is an important component to Canton’s future and provides recreational use for all ages.
As a member and Chairman of the original study committee it became apparent early in the process that Canton had a quantifiable need for an all purpose track and field. The deciding factors for the committee were:
- Growing senior population who could take advantage of a safe walking environment
- Commitment to creating health opportunities for the entire community
- A successful high school track program that enlisted +45 student athletes per season
- Lack of playing fields to satisfy the rising number of youth participating in a variety of sports and the cost of building other facilities to satisfy that need.
- The positive affect a track and field would have on the community recreationally and financially; specifically the positive impact it could have on home values.
The study of a Track and Field for Canton was analyzed over 6 months with one mission in mind, what is best for Canton? We didn’t consider what was best for one group or sport; we concluded that a new all-purpose track was in the best interest of the community as a whole. The key point was it would add value to the town day one, in a multitude of ways. If there ever was a town project that would provide all citizens a solid return on investment, the proposed track and field is that project! Please vote yes next Tuesday!
Lou Daniels is a former Selectman and Board of Education Member