My name is Linda Betances. I live in Canton and I have been asking around both areas of Canton and Collinsville about having our own Dog Park.
I have had many people asking why we do not and many people saying they would love one here.
Why should we have to go to other towns to use their facilities, when we could get our own. It only seems fair.
There is land to be used, we know it, the old baseball field down by the sewage plant even though it seems people are not bothered by that smell, some walking and or riding bikes do not like dogs.
So why a dog park couldn't be put in place there is beyond me.
Also, the old Cob Web shop on Rt. 44, I do not know who owns it but, maybe someone could ask about it, and possibly seek donation of use of the property.
I realize there will be costs but, I think in the end Canton and Collinsville could make some revenue:
1. A fee or fees set up to use the park.
2. People having to do community service could do the cleanup and maintenance of it, while under the supervision of a staff worker, off duty police, etc. Heck, I need a job. Minimum wage is fine with me and I don't need benefits.
3. People would be bound by the same type of rules as a daycare for their dogs i.e. Provide their own leases, poop bags for clean up after their dogs, (which is never done on the new bike paths; everyone can see that when they walk or ride.)
4.Proof of up to date vaccinations, licenses through the town.
5. Accepting their own liability if, God forbid, something should happen, this would be a strict policy.
6. Maybe volunteer workers and on some days a local veterinarian could donate their time for a walkthrough, personality trait problems, or just oversee the situation and if their are problem dogs they must leave and come on a restricted day just or them.
Also, Jacquil Leopold from Simsbury who was instrumental in getting their Dog Pathway would have some great ideas, this comment came to me from Senator Witkos on 3/8/12 after to writing him.
Beverly Laplume, awesome lady, may be able to give out some excellent information on behavioral do's and don't, another friend of mine (we would need to ask her.)
There is a lot of information that would need to be gathered and since I and the community feel so strongly about this project, I wouldn't mind doing it myself!
I am hoping for some great feedback from both the town and its representatives and the people living in Canton and Collinsville. I would like to start a petition to see just how many people really want this and why. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or log on to the facebook page created for this effort if interested in the effort.