.

Firefighters Respond to Odor Complaints

Minor problems found at 50 Albany Turnpike, Valley House

The town of Canton Volunteer Fire and EMS Department responded to at least two reports of gas odors Saturday. 

In the early afternoon, the department received a report of an odor at the Valley House apartments in Collinsville. The building was evacuated and a portion of Main Street closed, causing a little excitement downtown. After using gas meters to monitor the building, firefighters determined the odor likely came from a leaking canister in a small propane grill at one apartment, according to emergency radio reports. 

Earlier in the day, firefighters also responded to 50 Albany Turnpike (Route 44). An investigation there discovered a potential furnace problem in one of the businesses and officials called Connecticut Natural Gas to the scene.  

At approximately 10:30 a.m., a large backup resulted on Route 44, when the signals at the intersection with Secret Lake Road were not cycling properly and stayed red.  

Officials said some equipment being used by firefighters potentially caused it, even though the range is usually more limited. 

 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »