A showcase of the town's businesses and community organizations may be the heart of Sam Collins Day, but the annual celebration also includes plenty of fun for the whole family.
One exciting aspect to this year's 18th-annual event, coming up on Sept. 15 (Rain Date Sept. 16) is the variety of live music, event chairwoman Mary Tomolonius said.
"We have great entertainment this year," she said.
That includes acts both in Collinsville and the "Main Stage" at the Canton Volunteer Fire Department Inc. Field on Canton Springs Road.
Acts at the main site range from the bluesy, often humorous originals of Canton resident Chris Sheehan (also emcee of the Canton Springs site) to the jazz groups of Canton High School to the rock 'n roll and blues flavored music of Con Doty.
In Collinsville the emphasis is on several area singer songwriters including Nikki Krishnan, Danny Rielert, Eric Paradine and Bill Benson.
Food is another popular draw, Tomolonius said. The food court at the main site will include , , s, , and . In addition Avon Canton Rotary will sell hot dogs and hamburgers, the chamber of Commerce water, shaved ice by Summertime Sno-Balls and ice cream.
The day also includes numerous community and business groups and community organizations, inflatables and much more.
A putting contest will benefit the Mark H. Quattro Scholastic Fund and the event is dedicated to his memory.
Sam Collins Day takes place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a pre-event Lions Club breakfast starting at 7 a.m. Food and music schedules are below but for more information all Sam Collins Day activities log on to http://www.samcollinsday.com/
Collinsville: Host/MC will be Eric Paradine
- 10:00a - 11:00a TBD*
- 11:00a - 12:00p — Nikki Krishnan
- 12:00p - 1:00p — Danny Rielert
- 1:00p - 2:00p — Eric Paradine
- 2:00p - 3:00p — Bill Benson
- 3:00p - 4:00p — TBD*
Main Stage: Host/MC will be Chris Sheehan
- 10:00a - 11:00 a — Farmington Dance or Chris Sheehan
- 11:00a - 1:00p — CHS Jazz Ensemble/Chorus/Jazz Combo
- 1:00p - 1:30p — The Dancer's Pallette
- 1:30p - 2:00p — Farmington Dance or Chris Sheehan
- 2:00p - 3:00p — Dan Ringrose
- 3:00p - 4:00p — Con Doty Band
Shop Rite Supermarket
- Coffee, Cocoa, Tea — 1 token
- Apple Fritters — 1 token
- Apple Cider — 1 token
- Apple Cider Donuts — 1 token
- Fresh Made Deli Sandwiches — 1 token
- Fresh Fruit Cups — 1 token
- Fried Dough-sugar or sauce — 5 tokens
- Sausage & peppers — 6 tokens
- Red/White Wine — 5 tokens
- Imported Beer — 5 tokens
- Domestic Beer — 4 tokens
- Roast Pork Fried — 3 tokens
- Bar-B-Q Boneless Spare Ribs — 3 tokens
- Golden Chicken Fingers — 3 tokens
- General Tso’s Chicken — 4 tokens
- Combo (any from above w/Pork Fried Rice — 5 tokens
- California Roll (3 pieces) — 2 tokens
- Clam Chowder — 3 tokesn
- Skewered Shrimp — 3 tokens
- Jays Heart (Classic Cheese Pizza) — 2 tokens
- Jay’s Heart with Nitrate-Free Pepperoni — 2 tokens
Red Snack Shack (next to Food Court)
Tokens are $1 each and may be purchased at the two token booths on the field
Avon Canton Rotary
- Hamburgers — 3 tokens
- Hot Dogs — 2 tokens
Canton Chamber of Commerce
- Soda — 1 token
- Bottled Water — 1 token
- Shaved Ice — 4 tokens
Ben & Jerry's (on the field near the children's inflatibles)