1. It's a day of angst, wonder or relief — depending on your perspective. Today marks the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year. As detailed in this earlier Patch story, changes this year are numerous. Those include the new entrance at Canton Middle/High School, a new principal and assistant principal at the upper level and the introduction of the team concept in 6th grade. Patch will be talking to school officials later in the day and welcomes first day pictures. Send them to email@example.com.
2. The Department of Public Works will be conducting tree and brush work in the area between the Collinsville Post Office and the Town Hall auditorium between 7am and 1pm, according to a town press release. A number of the Town Hall parking lot spaces in that corner of the lot will be blocked off to create a safety zone and will be unavailable during this time.
3. The Farmington Valley VNA is offering free blood pressure screenings this morning.
4. There's just a few more days to see “Ships, Seascapes and More: The Paintings of Art Chouinard” in Canton Public Library’s Gallery at 40 Dyer Ave. The exhibit runs through Aug. 31.
5. It's partly sunny with a chance of showers today.
- If you have an event you'd like to promote, post it on Patch's awesome calendar.
- Do you have an opinion? Post it on Speak Out
- Do you have something to announces to the world?
- Are you a business in town with news?
- Do you have something you'd like to buy sell or trade?